Saturday, March 24, 2012

Wrapping up Color Theory - Part 1

Here I am. In my final week of Color Theory for Print. I'm starting to get used to these 5 1/2 week classes. Our final projects are broken down into four parts: written proposal and 4 thumbnails, choosing one composition and apply 4 color strategies, pick one composition and create a final draft, and final project with artist statement.

Here is my part one: written proposal and thumbnails

For my final project, I am using flower-like shapes to express feelings of excitement and happiness. After building shapes and playing with the pathfinder options, I came up with this flower with a sun-like center.  I thought it looked kind of neat, so I decided to this as my subject matter. Also, flowers are naturally light hearted and can make people smile.  I will put the flowers on a background that will cause excitement and interest. The background will consist of a pattern that will push the flowers forward in the design creating depth.
 
My goal is to create a composition that will excite the viewer and evoke a feeling of happiness.  It will have a good sense of depth. To get the depth and level of excitement that I want, I will utilize overlapping shapes, diminishing size, gravity, tints, shades and tones. Since the subject matter is flowers and the feeling is happiness, I will stick to warmer colors. I will either use an analogous or triad color strategy. I think that a tetrad strategy will be the composition obnoxious and that is not what I am going for.

I am anticipating that my biggest challenge will be finding the right color strategy for my design. Then once I find the right colors, the next challenge will be apply the colors to my design using tints, tones and shades of the colors.  The color strategy will be the most important part of my design because it is going to be responsible for the majority of the depth. I will overcome these challenges by using Kuler to choose the colors for my color palette and a combination of the color picker and blend tool to get the tints, tones and shades. 
I believe I will be using the top left design for this project, but that could change after critiques.

No comments:

Post a Comment